Search This Blog

Friday, August 14, 2020

3 Short Stories You Do not want to Miss

 


Many a times I don’t feel like reading too much. Also there are times when I am burdened with household chores and do not get time even to  touch a book.  So  a quick read  is what I generally do. While having my morning cup of tea or even before going to bed, I generally prefer reading such books. It makes me feel satisfied / accomplished, and I donot feel guilty of not touching a book.  A well told tale with a fine beginning, middle and a good ending is what I look for. Few days back I read some short stories, which I thought to share with you all in case you just want to relax and enjoy a good book.

Also  there  are many booklovers who don’t get much time  to read novels because of jobs or school college and henceforth even though they want to , so why not pick these short stories  and keep yourself into reading habits rather than detaching yourself from books?So here are my recommendations -3  quick reads to you all .Each one has different emotions which you will be drowned while reading, and I am sure you will enjoy these three books. 


Things my Son needs to know about the world by Frederick Backman 

One of my  favorite

 The author pens down his thoughts to his son about how it was to become a father for the first time .Lets read it as how it is to become a parent for the first time. This book is so hilariously relatable that I am sure new parents out there will definitely have a grin on their face after reading this chat-pata 30 min read. From first day’s memorable dark poop in the hospital ( calls it as an evil poop ) to Google search on a problem, don’t we parents  all  go through such crazy stuff?.  Humorously written yet touched every bit of life's aspect which we all want to pass on to our next generation, a must read to new father and mother’s out there.

Favorite Quotes: ( wish I could share all of them)

πŸ‘‰“Having kids is in many ways like trying to drive a bulldozer through a china shop. With broken legs. Wearing a back-to-front ski mask. While drunk.”

πŸ‘‰“Remember, a good friend helps you move, but a great friend helps you move a dead body.”

πŸ‘‰"I know that in a year or two, you’ll learn how to talk, and after that you’ll pretty quickly enter that phase where, regardless of what I say, you’ll always ask “Why?” Well, I can help you out right now by telling you that in 95 percent of the cases, the answer to “Why?” will be “Because people are really bloody stupid.”


Winter by Alice Oseman –

How do siblings support each other when parents and relatives become judgemental? This book talks about mental health on eating disorder. Charlie ( teenager) returns from hospital before Christmas and faces his family and relatives questioning him about his disorder and also his relationship with Nick (cute couple and super supportive).  Don’t we all face those relatives or parental pressure?  Charlie too did. His siblings  Oliver and Tori gave him the best  emotional support one can imagine. An emotional Christmassy quick read which will melt your heart.

 

  A Deal of a lifetime and other stories:

 Collection of short stories ,with thought provoking  beautiful lines which I definitely would re read. Though the story was cold and focuses mostly  on death ,  oldage,   memories ,letting things go,  fear and love   it also talks about depression. An  impactful read, and I am sure at some point of time you would too, have tears in your eyes because the author have beautifully caprtured emotions. The story which touched my heart the most was the little girl with cancer  and  a short story of oldage.  It definetly gives me goosebumps thinking how  at some point of my life when I will be growing old , I will be loosing my memories and ideas.I will be loosing time and missing people around me. Such a wonderful read!

Some thought provoking Quotes from the book:

πŸ‘‰Human's are strange breed  in a way our fear  of getting old seems to be even greater than our fear of dying.

πŸ‘‰The only thing of value on eath is time. One second will always be a second , there is no negotiating with that.

πŸ‘‰“Happy people don’t create anything, their world is one without art and music and skyscrapers, without discoveries and innovations. All leaders, all of your heroes, they’ve been obsessed. Happy people don’t get obsessed, they don’t devote their lives to curing illnesses or making planes take off. The happy leave nothing behind. They live for the sake of living, they’re only on earth as consumers. Not me.”


I hope you will enjoy these as much as I did.   Short stories are like having an extramaritial affair while reading  a novel is getting tied up in marriage. As Neil Gaiman says

"Short stories are tiny windows into other worlds and other minds and other dreams. They are journeys you can make to the far side of the universe and still be back in time for dinner.”


Keep reading and  follow my instagram page @thegirlwithkindle for updates.












No comments:

Post a Comment